Sunday, March 11, 2012

Impatient Spring

Yesterday I was out working in the garden getting the drip system tuned up for the warm weather and saw a few signs that Spring is here ahead of schedule.


A beautiful Red Admiral was sipping from the Rosemary bushes at the front door.


So was a bumble bee!


Out in the woods, the Miner's lettuce is popping up in shady spots and seeps, the only places it can survive in this dry weather.


The Elderberries are covered in buds that are closed up tight, as though they suspect more cold weather could be coming.


The Buckeye is much less cautious.


Here's a Checkerspot baby trying to nibble on some wild honeysuckle. The wasp wants to nibble on him!

Columbine
In the garden, fresh new leaves are unfurling everywhere.

Lupine
Rugosa rose
Clematis
Black raspberry
'Pillow Fight' shrub rose thinks it's a vine.
Dormant roots are waking up.

Hosta
Bearded iris
Buds are swelling and some are even cracking open a little.

Onion
Maple
Lilac
Cherry
Swamp Magnolia
Trees are beginning to bloom.

Apricot
Flowering pear
And insects are everywhere.

Checkerspot larva basking in the sun.
Ladybugs in the Yarrow.
All these things cheer me up more than I can say. Still no rain, though. Today I'll be watering everything well. I'll wash a few windows. I may even wash my car. Anything to appease those stingy Rain Gods.

14 comments :

  1. Oh I am so envious of those butterflies and caterpillars. How nice. I hope you shooed that nasty wasp away from that baby. Love all the blooms.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so warm, I bet you get some early butterflies too!

      Delete
  2. How wonderful all these buds look, Katie,..and I love that columbine unfurling! I'll have to notuice nmine more and try to get as fabulous a shot as you have here. Our pear has popped out in full bloom now, but the columbine froze and will have to start again. I love Spring and even more so here where the plants die down in winter....most winters ;-) It a miracle time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about plants that die all the way down. Their reappearance always amazes me. That must be why I've planted so many of them.

      Delete
  3. Window and car washing virtually guarantees you a big gully washer of a storm. Beautiful pictures, as always sis. Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, if only I had a clothesline...

      Delete
  4. Hi Kate
    Your spring is surely ahead of my Oregon valley. We had a couple of inches of snow yesterday morning. Wish I could share a little precipitation with you--maybe in exchange for an apricot tree!

    -Linnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain and apricots will come to us both in their own time, I hope! We should both plant some more oaks, you never know who will stop by in 3 or 4 hundred years. Thanks Linnie!

      Delete
  5. Your photos cheer me up. Beautiful shots and love your captions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to cheer you up! It's pouring rain right now so I'm cheerful too.

      Delete
  6. Wow!I found a lot of dreamy signs that spring is in your fantastic garden,too.
    All your photos are very lovely,and the word that "checkerspot larva basking in the sun" made me laugh.
    I have some daffodils coming out now.spring is here in my garden,too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to make you laugh! Happy Spring to you!

      Delete
  7. Wow, you've got a lovely collection of plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I helps that many of them just grow wild here.

      Delete