Monday, August 15, 2011

Deadheads? Weren't those diehard Grateful Dead fans?

This time of year you will see recommendations to "deadhead" your flower garden. Cutting out the spent blooms can prolong blooming well into the Fall because it prevents the plant from setting seed. If you've ever actually done this you know how tedious it is.

Sweet William

Bee Balm
Mexican Hat
Chive
Clematis

Gaillardia

Actually, these are all seed heads ...


Why not leave a few on this year? Spend your time doing something fun like relaxing in your garden with a cold beer and the Dead. In a few weeks your "deadheads" will become anything but.

Lavender seed

 Mexican Hat seed

Parsley seed

Yarrow seed

Seeds are the most alive thing I can think of!










3 comments :

  1. Hey Katie some of those finished blooms look kind of good like that. :) Think I would leave the good looking stuff anyway. Have a nice week.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie, I love your blog! I'm so happy that you are in my area and looking through your photos, I found lots of familiar 'friends'. I know we have lots in common and one thing is that we built our house in the same way and in the same year as you! How cool! I feel that I'm still learning, always, and want to sow more from seed. You might be interested in my CA native wildflower meadow, I blogged about all last year! So much fun.

    I'm adding your blog to my Google Reader!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again Sue!
    That is very cool about our houses. Nice to meet a new friend too.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
A Garden in Bootjack by http://bootjackgardener.blogspot.com/ is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.