Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Too bad you have to wait two years for Parsley to bloom


     A couple of years back I had lots of extra Parsley seed. In the Fall I scattered it around here and there then dumped the rest in a couple of strips on either side of the vegetable garden. The first year the leaves came up fresh and green, then during the Winter I forgot it was there. In the Spring it shot up nearly 4 feet. Honey scented and buzzing with bees and so many other beneficial insects, it was like a pretty wall of defense around the garden. In a few weeks I'll be cutting it down and putting the seed heads to dry in paper bags. I'll be looking forward to the next Parsley wall that will hopefully be occurring again in 2013. As always, if you'd like some seed, I'm happy to share.

2 comments :

  1. Over the years, I have been adding parsley to my cottage garden for the Black Swallowtail butterfly. And I have found it to be a lovely addition. I am looking forward to having a field of them as in your lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping for Swallowtails too. Didn't get any, but did get a swarm of ladybugs! Good luck with your parsley field - if you need any seed I've got lots to share.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
A Garden in Bootjack by http://bootjackgardener.blogspot.com/ is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.