Saturday, June 15, 2013

Another Summer


     Each June my garden comes alive. It's not a tidy garden and I often lose control of the situation. Even so, I wouldn't have it any other way. Summer is the time to see the results of the hard work that comes with every Winter and Spring. It's also time to be surprised by all the jokes and little miracles Mother Nature cooks up.


     This year I had a great idea. Sweet peas. I planted them in the vegetable garden thinking it would be so nice to have vases full of them to enjoy inside.


     The sweet peas were so happy. They grew right up the trellis...


     and up and over the top of the asparagus and down the other side.


      Here they still were this morning blooming and blooming even though it was 109 degrees here last week. My plan was to put tomatoes or melons or something summery here last month, but the sweet peas just wouldn't die. A determined little woman with sharp shears is a terrible adversary.


     Underneath all those sweet peas were some very healthy looking asparagus and my long lost strawberries.


     Next year, I'll be sure and grow the knee high kind.


     Sweet peas remind me of another Summer long ago. We grew them in this garden once too. Big sister loved to dance and little sister loved butterflies. Littlest sister had yet to arrive. The leggy sprout and little button you see here grew straight and true, just like the sunflowers behind them. They graduated from college last month. I could not be any prouder.


     The excitement over the two graduations with traveling and visitors didn't leave me a lot of time to plan out the garden, so it's coming about in a haphazard way this year. Vegetable gardening is a bit like working a jigsaw puzzle if you don't have a plan. In May I cheated and went out and bought some peppers and tomatoes.


     I pulled out chunks of leeks to make room for the tomatoes.


     Then I pulled out chunks of carrots to make room for the peppers. I feel okay about cheating, though. I grew my own Cherokee Purple tomatoes from seed I saved last year and it's going to be a long time before those are ready to pick.


     Later, I pulled out a strip of lettuce to make way for sweet basil.


     Look what I saw out there today! Summer's here for sure.


     I know my garden could never compare to this beautiful countryside in April, when everything's in bloom. But in June, when the countryside dies down for the dry season, I'm sure glad to have a green oasis.


     Hope your Summer is long and warm and full of beautiful things!








20 comments :

  1. Your sweet peas are beautiful. Always wonderful to have things you can cut for inside. Nothing is worth losing your veggies for though. Nice haul.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty and I sure hated to cut them down. I've got about 6 vases full in the house right now. Smells like heaven!

      Delete
  2. I planted sweet peas too when the snow melted in mid May. I won't get flowers until mid August. Your garden is incredible prolific I love that you pull out leeks and carrots to make way for peppers and tomatoes. Such a contrast with how things are done in my northern garden :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you planted sweet peas here in May, they would burn up and die by July. We all have such different conditions to deal with, we just have to do the best we can with what we have. I think that's why I love to read garden blogs. People are endlessly creative with solutions and ideas.

      Delete
  3. Oh, wow! That is glorious! Your garden is both beautiful and bountiful and so is your writing! I was between laughing and dropped-jaw awe! I can imagine that your house does smell heavenly.

    Congratulations on your girls and all the best to them in their endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You Anastasia.

    It is pretty funny - all the stupid things I just keep doing. Those girls, though. Wish I could take credit for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sweet peas is really a good idea. So stunning and I bet smell heavanly.
    I am always amazed with your root crop success wish I am your neighbour and can swap harvest with you :).

    Congratulation on your girls graduation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet compliments! I wish all of the nice people I've met on garden blogs were really my neighbors. I would trade my carrots for your exotic vegetables any day.

      Delete
  6. I wonder you could do a garden at all what with celebrating those great children and their achievements. I loved the photo of them with the giant sunflowers. The sweetpeas should get some kind of award--and also I have carrot envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm envious of your roses, Linnie. We're not done celebrating. My oldest girl is getting married at the end of the Summer. Everything at once! That's how it always is in gardens and in life.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog. Your garden and your blog are gorgeous. I noticed the photo of Mariposa lilies (Calochortus) in your garden album. Are they wild or did you plant them? They are a favourite of mine, but I've had to buy the bulbs and plant them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      I love your blog. Such interesting and well covered topics. And your paintings! The Mariposa lilies grow wild all around the house in June, (usually). This year was very dry and they came and went very quickly last month. The photo was taken in our horse pasture a couple of years ago.

      Delete
  8. What a pleasure to watch your garden photo's and read about all the natural treasures you got in and around your house.
    Congratulations on both the graduating and the marriage of your daughters too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,
      It's very kind of you to comment. I love to read about your bird and nature watching, but I'm always too shy to comment because I know Google will mangle the words. I guess I'll have to get over that. Your English is very good!

      Delete
  9. Your garden is beautiful! I love the sweet peas, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,Kate!
    Your garden is really beautuful. I am seeing your photes in your blog with great excitement and curiosity. Your sweet peas are lovely. I do admire them. Thanks to your big effors during winter and spring, you have fantastic results in your garden. In my case, I was quite lazy during winter and spring, therefor the result is not good.....But, the melons are growing well and satisfactorily. I have two little melons- not yet mature-now. I'm looking forward to their growth. And your lettuces are so delitious. Thank you very much.
    However, unfortunately, I was not able to have the sunflowers'sprouts. I'm so sorry.
    I enjoyed your picture of the sunflowers instead of that. I do love your shot of your daughters with the big sunflowers. What a great picture! I strongly feel your deep affection for your daughters and plants from that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of my favorite pictures of the girls. I loved that back yard. We had a big dog that went through the screen door and tore it down the side, so it hung like a flap. It was never cold there by the beach in Southern California. The kids just ran in and out through the broken door - we never fixed it, it was so handy that way. There was a lemon tree and an avocado too. Lately I've been looking at old photos and remembering. It's okay to have lazy garden years. Sometimes we just can't keep up with everything. I'm glad you like the lettuce! Let the best plants go to seed and you'll always have lots of lettuce. I have 2 little melons too! How fun to grow them together this year!

      Delete
  11. Lovely bouquets of sweet peas! Thanks for revisiting my blog: I have not figured out how to follow your blog, but I'm going to add you to my blogroll and that will help me remember to revisit you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know the atom thing doesn't work, so I added a "follow by e mail" thing to the very bottom. If that one doesn't work either, then drats! I'll keep in touch too, regardless.

      Delete

Creative Commons License
A Garden in Bootjack by http://bootjackgardener.blogspot.com/ is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.